Page 1
Back to Cemetery Page
Morgan Bethel Cemetery and Lambert Land Memorial
Page Two

The Lambert lands are located in Morgan Township, Sectons 21 & 27, Gallia County, OH. These lands (265.5 acres) were purchased in 1843 by Frank Lambert and 29 other slaves who had been freed by their former owner, Charles Lambert of Beford County, Virginia, in his will written in 1839. The former slaves began using their true surnames which included Burk, Jones, Leftwich, Miller, Randolph, Reed, Sales, Minnis and Wingfield. For many years descendants of these people lived on the Lambert Lands. Unfortunately, the lands were sold for taxes in 1970. It is known that many escaping slaves passed through this settlement and were helped by its residents. The marker at State Route 160 and Thompson Road documents this important aspect of Gallia County history. The Morgan Bethel Cemetery is the final resting place of at least one Lambert Land Settler, Calahill Minnis, and many other descendants of the slaves.

Lambert Land Memorial


Bethel Missionary Baptist Church Lambert Lands Sign
Original Settlers

Marker for grave of Calahill Minnis

Detailed stone marker for Calahill Minnis


Directions to Morgan Bethel: From Gallipolis, follow State Route 160 northward toward Vinton. After passing the former North Gallia High School Building, turn right or east onto Thompson Rd. Follow Thompson Rd. one mile to the intersection of Greenlee Rd. Turn north again onto Greenlee Rd. and continue about 1/4 mile. The church is located on the right-hand side of the road. Everyone is welcome.
Top of Page
Previous Page